With 0 Comments, Category: Church News, Church Reform, Latest News, Pope Francis, Women in the Church, Women's Ordination,
Phil Dunne, Mary T. Malone and Soline Humbert
Mary T. Malone enraptured a fascinated audience in Milltown last night.
She asked us 3 questions:
1. Do you know the official teaching of the Roman Catholic church on women?
2. Who cooked the Last Supper?
3. Are you as comfortable addressing God as "she" as as "he"?
She answered the 3 questions:
1. At present there is no good theological reason for not ordaining women. They depend on the formula from Pope John Paul ll and Benedict XVl "We do not consider ourselves authorised to ordain women."
2. Just as women were airbrushed out of the 1916 in Ireland, so women have been airbrushed out of the Last Supper. Her money is on Martha.
3. For men the image of the trinity is Father, Son and Holy Spirit; for Mary and many women the image of the trinity is Mother, foetus and the love that connects them.
Mary defined two new words for us:
WOMENCHRISTIANITY - Christianity as lived by women, which is different to the male spirituality which has dominated the church for two millenia. We need the understanding of BOTH men and women.
MYSTAGOGY - articulating in your own language what it means to be Christian.
Mary (now 77 years old and with her sight deteriorating) spoke for an hour without notes with a freshness and enthusiasm that permeated the room. She shared a very personal moment from when she was aged 11: He youngest sister had just been delivered by the midwife in their family home in Wexford and she handed the newborn baby to Mary as the eldest of her large family. Mary tenderly held her new born sister and instinctively kissed her. The midwife immediately said: "You cant kiss her! The devil is still in her!" And the 11 year old Mary's immediate response was to present her new born sister to ALL her brothers and sisters who were present ordering them to kiss her!!!
Thank you Mary for sharing so much with us. And I am very much looking forward to seeing your two new books.